Dutch police are investigating violent attacks on Israeli citizens following a football match in Amsterdam.

After Thursday night's match on November 7 (17 Aban) between Maccabi Tel Aviv and Ajax Amsterdam in the Europa League, five people were taken to hospital. Dutch police arrested more than 60 people overnight in the city center. A review of some as-yet-unverified videos circulating on social media shows Israelis apparently chanting against Arabs and Palestinians before the clashes broke out. Willem-Alexander, King of the Netherlands, expressed his “horror and deep shock” at the attacks.

Dutch authorities said riot police had been forced to intervene on several occasions to protect Israelis. Dick Schoof, the Dutch prime minister, condemned these “anti-Jewish attacks.” Benjamin Netanyahu, the Israeli prime minister, said he had dispatched two “relief planes” to Amsterdam to evacuate Maccabi supporters, although reports that the clashes were “initially provoked by Maccabi fans” are still under review.

The Israeli military described what happened as “severe and violent incidents against Israelis.”

Amsterdam's mayor and city officials said that despite a heavy police presence, Israeli fans were injured in various parts of the Dutch capital.

Fans of the Israeli club Maccabi Tel Aviv had traveled to Amsterdam to watch the Europa League match against Ajax. Ajax defeated the visiting team 5–0 at home.

Clashes between football fans in Amsterdam

The Dutch prime minister said he was following developments with concern. He added that he had spoken with Mr. Netanyahu and stressed that “those responsible will be identified and prosecuted.”

Before the match, arrests and clashes had already occurred between Maccabi fans and pro-Palestinian protesters in Amsterdam's Dam Square, along with reports of fireworks and a Palestinian flag being torn down on a street near the square. But unrest intensified after the match.

Amsterdam police announced they had opened investigations into several violent incidents, and that 62 people had been arrested.

Police also said five people had been taken to hospital for treatment, and that they were aware of reports of a “possible hostage situation” as well as people whose whereabouts were unknown, though this had not been confirmed.

Noting that it remained unclear who had taken part in the clashes, police told local media that those involved were wearing dark clothing.

Numerous videos have circulated on social media. One shows a man being beaten on the ground, while another shows a car running someone over. In some videos, pro-Palestinian chants can be heard, although the BBC has not verified this footage.

Isaac Herzog, the President of Israel, described these events as an “attack and persecution” of Maccabi football fans and Israeli citizens.

According to Israeli media reports, Gideon Sa'ar, the country's foreign minister, has traveled to the Netherlands for an “urgent diplomatic visit.”

Mr. Sa'ar had earlier described the attack as “a warning for Europe and the world.”

He said: “Free countries and democracies cannot allow boundless hatred to roam the streets freely and unpunished. As history has shown — what begins with persecution and violence against Jews never ends with Jews alone.”

Ursula von der Leyen, President of the European Commission, said she was “outraged” by the “violent attacks” in Amsterdam overnight.

She strongly condemned these attacks on Israeli fans and has discussed the violence with the Dutch prime minister.

Geert Wilders, the Dutch right-wing, anti-Islam politician and leader of the largest party in parliament, likewise described the events as “an attack and persecution” and said “authorities must answer for their failure to protect Israeli citizens.”

Femke Halsema, the mayor of Amsterdam, had earlier tried to head off trouble by moving pro-Palestinian protesters away from the vicinity of the Johan Cruyff Arena. However, Dutch media reports indicate that a large group attempted to march toward the stadium, but riot police blocked them.

The President of Israel said in a message on the social media platform X that he trusts Dutch authorities to act immediately to “protect, locate, and rescue all Israelis and Jews who were attacked.”

Israeli officials have asked citizens to remain in their hotels, and the national broadcaster Kan reported that Israel's foreign ministry said contact had been lost with three of its citizens.

Deborah Lipstadt, the U.S. special envoy on antisemitism, said she was horrified by the attacks in Amsterdam, which are “starkly reminiscent of classic pogroms,” and that she is deeply concerned about their continuation.

She noted that this violence took place two days before the anniversary of the Nazi pogrom against Jews in Germany in November 1938.